The Dolce Vita of Nice and its surroundings appeal to you and you wonder where to start!
Here is a list of some of the great places to visit :
1 – Stroll along the Promenade des Anglais
The Promenade des Anglais stretches for 7 km, from Nice Castle Hill to Nice Airport. Walk along the pebble beach and discover the few private beaches (Ruhl Plage, Opéra Plage, Neptune Plage, and many others). You can walk, run, cycle or relax on the mythical blue chairs of Nice, directly on the pebbles or on the deckchairs that the private beaches offer.
2 – Discover the “old Nice”.
Come and stroll through the narrow, colourful streets of Old Nice. You will discover local craftsmen, good addresses to treat yourself, some of which have the label “Cuisine Nisssarde” which guarantees you, among other things, a respect for Nice recipes.
On Monday mornings, the Cours Saleya is home to a large flea market, and on other days you will find flowers, vegetables, spices, etc. It is also the place where you will find many restaurants and bars whose atmosphere animates the old town. Nearby, you can visit the Place du Palais de Justice, the Place Rossetti, the Cathedral Sainte Réparate or the Place Saint François.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
3 – Taste the 1000 flavours of Nice ice cream
Everyone envies us our ice cream parlours! You are spoilt for choice with Fennocchio, in Piazza Rosetti, open from 9am to midnight (for example). To help you choose, I suggest you check out this loooong list of flavours. You can also head to Azzuro for homemade Italian ice cream (also homemade cones) in old Nice.
4 – The culinary specialities of Nice
There are many culinary specialities in Nice, the most famous of which are
- pissaladière, which can be eaten with or without anchovies,
- the chard pie (sweet or savoury),
- Socca: made with chickpea flour and olive oil. Baked in the oven, it is very popular and you will find many establishments offering it in the old town of Nice,
- salade niçoise, which consists of tuna, tomatoes, eggs, salad, raw vegetables and of course black olives from Nice,
- the pan bagnat, which is composed of the same ingredients as the niçoise salad but, this time, in a round loaf,
- panisse, also a speciality made from chickpea flour.
5 – The Castle Hill
This is the park located on the hill overlooking old Nice. From this landmark, you will have access to many viewpoints, such as the highest point overlooking :
- the mountains,
- the Mont Boron hill
- and the famous castle waterfall.
To reach this highest point of the city, you can walk for the more athletic or use the lift provided.
6 – The Cimiez district
This residential area of Nice is home to many places not to be missed during a visit to Nice, such as
- the Henri Matisse and Marc Chagall museums and the archaeological museum with its Roman ruins
- the parks of the Cimiez arenas
- the Cimiez Arena
- the gardens of the Monastery of Cimiez from which there is a panoramic view of Nice and the Baie des Anges
7 – The Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Nice
The Cathedral of Saint Nicholas is a listed building. A visit is a must!
8 – Nice Coastal Path
In 2 parts, it allows you to go from Nice to Villefranche on foot, along the sea.
9 – Mount Boron
Mediterranean forest located on a hill to the east of the city on which the Mont Alban fort is located.
10 – Parc Phoenix
Botanical and zoological garden located in the Arénas district. Discover 7 hectares of great biodiversity in terms of both fauna and flora. You can get there with the tramway line 2.
11 – Museums of Nice
- Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Nice, near Place Garibaldi
- Museum of Asian Arts, next to the Parc Phoenix
- Museum of Art and History in the Palais Masséna
- Palais Lascaris, in the old part of Nice. It has a very nice collection of period instruments.
- Marc Chagall Museum
- Henri Matisse Museum
- Archaeological Museum of Cimiez
The good news is that the Nice tourist office offers several solutions to allow you to visit many of these great places for less, such as
If you have the time, don’t hesitate to visit the beautiful surrounding towns, notably Villefranche sur Mer, Saint Jean Cap Ferrat, Eze, Menton, Antibes, Cannes and Monaco.
In fact, the list of things to do, see and discover in Nice is still long. Our team at Hotel Nice Côte d’Azur will be happy to help you choose, to help you find good local addresses.
We offer several types of spacious, comfortable and brand new rooms. You can make your choice here, book and get a 10% discount (code “NISSA10”) directly here.
See you soon!